The Half Spinal Twist (Ardha Matsendra Asana)
- The movement tones the spleen liver kidney and the pancreas
- It also tones the spinal nerves and ligaments and improves
The half-Spinal Twist is one of the few poses that rotate the
spine. Most bend the spinal column either backward or forward, but
to become truly flexible it must be twisted laterally as well.
Description of the asana
- Kneel down with your legs together, resting on your heels.
- Then sit to the right of your feet, as illustrated (below)
- Lift your left leg over your right, placing the foot against
the outside of the right knee. Bring your right heel in close to
your buttocks. Keep the spine erect.
- Stretch your arms out to the sides at shoulder level, and
twist around to the left.
- Now bring the right arm down on the outside of the left knee
and hold the left foot in the right hand, placing your left hand
on the floor behind you. Exhaling, twist as far as possible to
the left. Look over the left shoulder.